Tuesday, July 3, 2012

On Why I Think I Am Right

It has been a long time since I have posted anything. I have been struggling with my own fears, disappointments, and insecurities. I grew tired of the anger I felt roiling in my heart each time I penned a fresh post. I will just say this before continuing to the actual point of this post, that I felt as though I had become exactly what I had been fighting: bitter, selfish people. Though I still believe in everything that I wrote in the past, I feel that there is more that I can bring to the table than just anger. So, without further ado: Why I Think I am Right As we all know, many people suffer from the pathetic dilusion that they are always right. Let me be the first to tell you that I am not one of those people, although I do have those days. Do not misinterpret the title of this post. I am not always right. I've made numerous mistakes and plan to make numerous more, and I do not think that everyone should agree with my personal opinions. HOWEVER...when it comes to politics, I am neither an expert nor involved in any type of politics, but I experience the direct result of what some narrow-minded, self-serving polititian put into legislature every day. What I see happening over and over, is legislation with good intent, but poor research and failure to see the bigger picture. As you have probably guessed, I am conservative. I am Christian. These one-word identifiers make it easy for people to judge my character, but they know not that they are grossly mistaken. I believe that the government should be minimal. Law enforcement, transportation, education. I do not believe that the government should have any say on gay marriage, abortion (except late term, I will explain that later), prayer in school, healthcare, religion, or personal property. Being gay, for example, is not something that I personally agree with, but I have plenty of friends who are and I love them whether they are gay or not, and I do not believe that I have the right to make someone be a certain way. This is why I believe that I am right. I can remove my political opinion from my personal and moral opinions, and try to find a middle ground that ensures fairness for everyone. No, there is no solution, no perfect system, but in a country that is known around the world as the land of liberty, it is our inalienable right to pursue our own happiness, and the government should have no say in it. (The only catch being that your pursuit of happiness cannot interfere with someone else's. Like, if you enjoy killing people, sorry, you are SOL. Not okay.) I do not mean to say that I am the only one in the world who can think of a middle ground, please do not think that I am arrogant or rude. I just mean that I will not apologize anymore for my inability to agree with others, but I also aim to stop approaching our political strife with such a negative attitude. True, it is discouraging, but that does not give me the right to spread more hate, more arrogance, and more closed-mindedness into the world. I will try to abide by this realization, but if I disagree with you, please do not think that it is the direct result of closed-mindedness or stubbornness. If I disagree with you, I have thought long and hard about the issue you have presented and found it to be incapable of preserving the freedom of ALL Americans: gays, rednecks, Christians, Witches, conservatives, liberals, students, CEOs....everyone. So, it is my humble opinion that I am right about this. Feel free to disagree, but don't take away your freedom to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment